Thursday, April 17, 2008

My WORST lunch ever, and where to get it.

Below is a identical copy of the review I wrote for Dublins Pub on Yelp.com


I have lived in the "Gold Coast" neighborhood for 6 years, and I pass by Dublins Pub almost daily. They are always packed with the rich elitist clientele of my neighborhood. I ventured out for a "nice" meal today, since the weather was the most accomadating it has been in at least 7 months. Me and my friend decided on going to Dublins for our last minute lunch on the town. I originally wanted to go to Hunt Club accross the street, but since they didn't have one person dining there I thought it safe to go to the over crowded elitist Dublins Pub for my $14.00 romaine salad.

I have been to Dublins before and have had less than par experiences.(especially for the price), but my friend reasured me he comes here all the time for the Salmon Salad. We walked in and were greeted by a yelling voice from somewhere behind the bar (the manager) telling us to sit whereever we wanted. Being that as soon as it hits 65 in chicago all the rich people sit outside, we took a nice table inside, even though we were cornered in by strollers from single wives who obviously didn't have to work this day or the rest of the month. The waitress came around and asked us for drinks, I ordered a Ketel One Bloody Mary, and he just ordered water. She stepped off after we ordered our drinks and after she yelled my drink order to the manager (they must like yelling), without even acknowledging she heard the correct order...This is where it started to go totally down hill.

I finished 2 bloody marys before our appetizer came. When we were 4 chip scoops from the bottom of the dip bowl, my friend took his fork and scooped up a yellow , brown, and black blobbish thing and asked me what I thought it was. Fellow Chicagoians, I have taken food safety for previous management positions I have held in the city and I can safely tell you that I have never seen a yellow "rolly polly beatle" with 8-12 legs come out of a bowl of spinich artichoke dip, but sure as s*%# here it was. We promptly showed the waitress and I watched her bring it back to the yelling bartender/manager/line cook and saw him curse and throw the fork down and ramble off something too her. Our salads came and I have never been so afraid as I was then to eat a seared scallop in my life. My fears were verified when I cut open a scallop all the way (which already had cut marks in it from the chef to ensure doneness) to find it almost like pink jello towards the opposite end.

I assure you there are other places in the city like Hugo's Frog Bar or Tavern on Rush, to get a good $14.00 salad and not be afraid of bugs or food poisioning. Dublins should be condemmed. I will be tipping off the chicago health inspector to this occurance and hope they have a serious wake up call before re-opening for business.

No comments: